Frustrating month makes it six without a win for Yate

November 29 2015

Yate saved their best performance of November until the last game of the month securing a highly credible away draw to second in the table North Leigh.

Yate saved their best performance of November until the last game of the month securing a highly credible away draw to second in the table North Leigh. 

Having fallen behind to a controversial close range goal from Jon Else in just the second minute, the point earned felt more like three and was just reward for a hard working team effort. 

North Leigh’s flying start followed a long consultation between the referee and his assistant after the latter had flagged for offside only for the officials to let the goal stand and put the home side one up.  

Yate showed great character and fought back to equalise on the half hour mark with captain Brett Trowbridge scoring his first goal for the club, ably assisted by youth team debutant Lewis Powell.

The second half failed to match the action packed first and with relatively little goalmouth activity a draw was a fair result.

A visit to high-flying Banbury United at the beginning of the month rather set the tone for a poor November for Yate, with the home side running out 2-0 winners. Yate enjoyed the lions share of possession but failed to trouble the oppositions keeper and a goal in each half settled it for Banbury. 

Premier Division Merthyr Town were next to visit Lodge Road for a second round Red Insure League Cup tie. Injuries and unavailable players reduced both sides to much changed line-ups, but spectators were treated to an exciting and open fixture with all the goals coming in the first 45 minutes. 

On 12 minutes Yate took the lead following a flowing move down the left flank ending with a well-taken Camen Harvey volley at the far post. 

The lead lasted just three minutes when Corey Jenkins equalised for the visitors and then a few moments later Kayne McLaggon took full advantage of a defensive error to put Merthyr two one up. 

The visitors increased their lead before the break when Jaye Bowen capitalised on yet another error and despite a Jake Jackson effort hitting a post, Yate were unable to recover and the tie was lost by three goals to one.  

Wimborne Town’s visit provided the most disappointing result of a difficult month with yet more defensive errors proving costly. An opportunist goal from Jamie Davidson gave Wimborne the lead on 37 minutes when a flighted shot from fully 40 yards left Martin Horsell stranded. Jackson missed the simplest of close range chances to give Yate an equaliser before the break.  

A tremendous shot by Franklyn Clarke that swerved into the top corner increased Wimborne’s lead on the hour but Yate managed to reduce the arrears almost immediately when Jake Jackson applied the finishing touches to a goal-bound in-swinging cross by Jake Cox. Yate looked more than capable at this stage of finding an equaliser but Wimborne regained their two-goal advantage through Carl Preston and held on for a 3-1 victory.

The gale force winds supplied by Hurricane Barney failed to stop either side playing attractive and entertaining football when Bishops Cleeve visited Yate.  The home side were the more positive team but were unable to penetrate the visitors defence and had to settle for a goalless draw.