Heavy defeat for Yate overshadows back to back victories

February 28 2016

A 4-0 reverse for Yate Town at Tiverton halted their momentum after two encouraging wins in February.

Mike Bryant

A 4-0 reverse for Yate Town at Tiverton halted their momentum after two encouraging wins in February.
Yate’s visit to play off contenders Tiverton Town took place in atrocious conditions with a saturated pitch and a strong, swirling wind. An even first half with few chances to either side left the scores level at the break. Tiverton took control of the match with three goals in ten minutes. On 53 minutes the home side took the lead when Owen Howe scored with a left footed volley into the roof of the net. Levi Landricombe added a second and third within three minutes, completing his hat trick just before the end to complete a miserable afternoon for Yate.
A 1-0 victory over Bridgwater Town the week previously, not only moved Yate Town FC back into the top half of the Southern League table - albeit briefly - but also helped them to back to back clean sheets for the first time this season.
Yate dominated the match throughout with the visitors keeper making good saves from George Box, Jake Cox and Mike Bryant before Yate scored just two minutes before the break. The goal came when Darren Edwards broke down the right and pulled the ball back from the by-line for Bryant to score his first goal of the season from close range. The second half followed a similar pattern with efforts from Cox and Edwards blocked and Bridgwater always in with a chance of pinching a point before the final whistle.
In their previous fixture Yate travelled to lowly placed Burnham for a re-arranged midweek encounter and came away with a comfortable 3-0 win. Darren Edwards scored twice before half time, one a delightful chip over the keeper. With 15 minutes remaining substitute Sacha Tong, making his debut after signing from Bitton, completed the scoring shortly after the home keeper had been sent off.
The month had opened with a visit to Winchester City, which was the only match in the Division to survive Storm Imogen. The tricky underfoot conditions, allied to a strong wind, made it difficult to play good football, but nevertheless Yate gave a disappointing performance and lost 3-0. After a bright opening with Lewis Powell forcing a good save from the home keeper, Winchester scored twice in five minutes to take control. Midfielder Jamie Barron gave the Citizens the lead after 24 minutes and then leading scorer Warren Bentley increased their advantage. Ten minutes after the interval Barron completed his double, and although Yate did exert some late pressure, they never looked likely to rescue a point.

Yate Town’s Reserve and Youth Teams were again badly affected by the weather, and both teams suffered more postponed games before their Reserves collected a well deserved point with a goalless draw against Ellwood.
Their Youth Team reached the semi finals of the GFA Under 18 Shield with a 5-0 win over Golden Valley (Chalford), before returning to league action where they extended their lead at the top of the table by beating Ashton & Backwell Utd 3-1.
Sat 5th March        BASHLEY
Away, KO 3.00 pm        
Sat 12th March        TAUNTON TOWN
Away, 3.00 pm
Sat 19th March        DIDCOT TOWN
Home, 3.00 pm
Sat 26th March        BURNHAM            Home 3.00 pm
Easter Mon 28 March    LARKHALL ATHLETIC        Away 3.00 pm
Wed 30th March    
BISHOPS CLEEVE (GFA Cup)    Away 7.45 pm
Sat 2nd April        SHORTWOOD UTD        Home 3.00 pm
Sat 5th March
Wed 23rd Mar
Wed 30th Mar