Hockey thriller sets pulses racing

October 30 2017

Yate Men 7 - 6 Cirencester Yate Hockey Club’s men’s team had their fans on the edge of their seats with a 13-goal thriller with the last and deciding goal coming in the final 2 minutes of the game.

Yate Men 7 - 6 Cirencester  

Yate Hockey Club’s men’s team had their fans on the edge of their seats with a 13-goal thriller with the last and deciding goal coming in the final 2 minutes of the game. 

Cirencester started quickly and dominated for the first 5 minutes of the match but it was Yate who opened the scoring when Mark Harris expertly deflected a pass by Dom Chambers. 

Harris scored another deflection and the lead was further increased by a Darren Ashley penalty corner flick into the bottom corner of the goal. Yate had scored 3 goals in 4 minutes and this became a 4-goal lead when Danny Pearce drove into the Cirencester D and scored with a reverse stick shot. 

Cirencester rallied when Elliott Lawrence was temporarily sent off. The visitors won a penalty corner that they converted. A fast breakaway and then a penalty corner reduced the deficit further and the half ended with Yate leading 4 - 3. 

Cirencester levelled the score early in the second half with a penalty corner and the game flowed from end to end as both teams attacked. Yate then went ahead when Mark Harris completed his hat trick but Cirencester came straight back to make the score 5-5. 

Yate’s Matt Child solo run allowed Elliott Lawrence to win a penalty stroke that Pearce converted, but Cirencester came back again to level the score at 6 all. 

Yate, briefly reduced to 9 men with another player sin binned for ill discipline and two players injured, were hanging onto the game whilst Cirencester dominated. When Yate were restored to 11 players on the field it was Dom Chambers passing out of midfield that helped win a penalty corner for Yate. A well-worked routine saw Pearce follow up on a fine Cirencester save and his coolness under pressure allowed Sam Patton to score from close range. 

With the score at 7 -6 and with just three minute remaining Yate saw the game out by retaining possession to run out winners.

Yate 2 - 5 Cleevillians

 Yate Men’s 1st team started their new season with a loss to Cleevillians but took many positives from the match. With a number of new players in the squad it was always likely that Yate would take time to gel. 

Cleevillians started very quickly and took an early lead with a fierce strike. 

Yate were quickly back on level terms after their passing game started to blossom with Dann Pearce finishing a superb pass and move sequence. A poor pass out of the Yate defence was pounced upon by the Cleevillians attack to take a 2-1 lead at half time. 

 After the break Yate became stretched by the fast pace of the game. They conceded two break away goals whilst failing to score from their own chances. Yate’s Elliott Smith made it 4 -2 from a penalty corner following attacking play from Pearce and Sam Patton. Edwards was called upon to make some more solo saves as Yate pushed to level the match but Cleevillians wrapped up a positive display with a late goal to end the game 5-2 winners. 

  Yate 1 -1  Cardiff Met C

 October began with a home match for Yate Mens 1st Team when they hosted Cardiff Met C Team. After rigorous training Yate were confident that they could build on the many positives they took from the loss against Cleevillians. 

Cardiff Met C were barely in the game during the first half and it was no surprise when Yate took the lead. An interception in his own half by veteran Rob Austen opened up an attack by Danny Pearce and Sam Patton with Michael Chaney finishing from close range. Yate could have been several goals to the good at half time but some modest finishing and good goal keeping kept the score to 1-0. 

The game appeared to be heading for a Yate victory but an error by the defence allowed Cardiff Met to equalise. Yate pressed for a winning goal but there was not enough time left to find the net.