Manager leaves Yate Town for job closer to home

April 29 2022
Manager leaves Yate Town for job closer to home

YATE Town manager Paul Michael has left the club.

The boss who guided the club to seventh place in the Southern League Premier South this season has been appointed manager of Merthyr Town, closer to his home in Wales.

After a first season curtailed by coronavirus restrictions, this year the club won half of its league games, finishing two places outside the play-offs, reached the FA Cup First Round and won the Gloucestershire Senior Cup, courtesy of a 5-0 win over Cirencester Town.

In a message to the club and its fans Paul said it had "been an absolute pleasure" to manage the club and added: "This decision has not been an easy one.

"I am incredibly proud to have been the manager of this football club for two seasons, albeit with one curtailed very early on due to the pandemic.

"I will look back on this period with pride and I hope you will the same. But, I am a proud valley boy with a young family. It’s time for me to go home after years of travelling for the love of this beautiful game."

In a statement announcing Paul's departure, the club said it had "worked hard to keep him at the club" but respected his decision to resign.

The club said: "It wasn’t until 21/22 that he was able to fully demonstrate his quality, and this year he has successfully delivered beyond the priorities he was given at the start of his tenure, that was to consolidate our standing in the Southern Premier League and be successful in the FA Cup.

"As a club we must also recognise the commitment that Paul and his family have shown in becoming true Bluebells and fully supporting the club. The two hour round trips between his home and Yate on top of training, match days and meetings all add to the demands on him and his family personally. We wish him and his family well with his new adventure and thank you for the ride in what has been a very memorable season for the club and our supporters."

Following the Gloucestershire Senior Cup triumph at the end of March the Bluebells faced four away league games in a row. Wins over Poole Town (2-0) and Walton Casuals (3-0) were followed by defeats to eventual top two Hayes & Yeading (4-0) and Taunton Town (2-1).

Despite wins over Kings Langley (3-1) and Dorchester Town (1-0), the play-offs were out of reach by the final match of the season, a 2-1 home defeat to Gosport Borough.

Picture from Yate Town's home defeat to Swindon Supermarine courtesy of B.East Photography