Mid table position for Yate

April 30 2018
Mid table position for Yate

With three matches of the season remaining, Yate Town are in a comfortable mid-table position, a major improvement on their form last season.

Torrential rain caused both of their Easter matches to be postponed, and Yate resumed after this enforced break with a visit to play-off contenders Winchester City, and without several key players. 

The changes inevitably disrupted the team and they failed to reproduce their best form. Goals from Oli Bailey and Jamie Barron gave the Citizens a 2-0 lead at the break, and they added further goals from Adam Tomasso and Simba Miambo during the second half. Yate kept battling and were rewarded with a consolation goal just before the end when Trey Anderson netted his first goal of the season, becoming the nineteenth player to find the net for Town this season.

Yate then made a long midweek journey to Barnstaple Town, and came away with all three points after a deserved 3-2 victory. The home side opened the scoring with a deflected effort from Billy Hopcroft, but Yate equalised within ten minutes when Anderson netted from close range. Barnstaple regained the lead through Harry Stevens, but a well taken goal by Ben Brooks brought Yate back on level terms before half time. Yate gradually gained control in the second half but had to wait until the 88th minute for their winner. Youngster Tom Mehew threaded a fine pass through the home defence to Steve Davies who slotted the ball past the home keeper.

Town played their first home match for four weeks when they entertained Slimbridge, and the points were shared. The visitors took the lead after a quiet opening period when Jamie Martin scored after a quick counter attack, and thereafter they concentrated on protecting their lead. A somewhat lack lustre match was enlivened with a quarter of an hour remaining when Slimbridge only partially cleared another Town attack. The ball fell to Adam Price who sent a swerving, dipping volley into the roof of the net from over 30 yards, and this “goal of the season” contender earned Yate a 1-1 draw.

Highly placed AFC Totton then visited Lodge Road and again proved to be a well-organised team. Chances throughout were at a premium, with most danger emanating from set pieces at either end. The match appeared destined to end goalless, but with 15 minutes remaining a dead ball situation proved decisive when Totton’s powerful central defender Callum Chugg powered in a header from a corner to give the visitors a 1-0 win.

Yate suffered a second defeat in a row when they travelled to Paulton Rovers, only to come away on the wrong side of the 2-0 scoreline.

Yate’s youth team, under the guidance of Paul Henderson, have again reached the Final of the GFA Under 18 Shield where they will play Gloucester City at Almondsbury on Thursday 3rd May.