Police arrest man and find gun after Yate fast food armed robberies

February 08 2021
Police arrest man and find gun after Yate fast food armed robberies

POLICE have found a gun and arrested a man on suspicion of robbing two fast food restaurants at Yate Shopping Centre.

The 22-year-old was arrested this afternoon by officers investigating the raids on Miss Millie’s in North Parade and the nearby McDonald's drive-thru at West Walk.

The first robbery happened at around 6.20pm yesterday at the Miss Millie's branch in North Parade and just over 12 hours later, at around 7am today, the McDonald's drive-thru was targeted.

Police say a firearm was seen by staff at both takeaways as they were threatened and ordered to hand over cash.

No-one was injured in either incident.

A police spokesperson said that a firearm had been recovered and taken away for further examination.

Detective Inspector Dan Rowan said: “This afternoon we arrested a 22-year-old man on suspicion of two robberies. He remains in police custody at this time.

We’re grateful for the public calling in with any information as part of our enquiries so far and would continue to ask for witnesses to come forward.

Thankfully incidents of this nature are rare but we appreciate the community will have understandable concerns about what has happened and additional patrols are being carried out.

Should anyone have any questions or concerns, I’d urge them to speak with one of those officers on the streets or call 101 and ask to speak to the local neighbourhood team.”

Anyone with information about either robbery should call 101 and quote the crime reference number 5221 027 524.

Information can also be given anonymously to Crimestoppers, on 0800 555111.