Pucklechurch celebrate league safety

May 03 2016

Puckelchurch Ladies Hockey club have secured their future in Berkeley Division 1.

Pucklechurch Ladies Hockey Club

Puckelchurch Ladies Hockey club have secured their future in Berkeley Division 1.  In the end it went down to the last day of the season, and a little help from other teams, as captain Lisa Whitehead reports.  
With 5 games left Puckle started with a home game against Old Bristolians.  We started off well and a cracking short corner strike from Louise Northam got us on the scoreboard, followed by 2 further goals from Emily Pollock and Sophie Edwards. However, poor marking and play against a strong team saw the final score 9-3 to Old B’s.
With only 10 players and no goalie, we would next travel to play 3rd in the league, Yate. Being a player down, we all had to work very hard especially against such a good team. Yate got the upper hand and won 5-0. Although exhausted, the Puckle girls were pleased with their performance.
One of the most entertaining games of the season - against top of the league Stroud was next at the WIA. Fielding just 11 players we knew it would be another tough one. It would prove to be a fast and furious game with goals coming from both sides. The final score was a 3-2 defeat.
Clinging onto 7th place, we had to win our last 2 games to guarantee our spot in Div 1. After trying field a team with many players unavailable, Caz Britton was called upon to come out of retirement to help us out.
Half time against Lydney saw Pucklechurch 2-0 up, with both goals coming from forward Em Pollock. However, Lydney came back fighting and scored one of their own, but in the end Pucklechurch held on for a 2-1 victory.
The final day saw a must win match at home against Avonmouth who were just 1 point behind us and who had a game in hand. It was nail-biting stuff with Avonmouth taking the lead.
Pucklechurch hit back,  Rhian Phillips hit the back board, sending the crowd and team wild.  Time ran out and the game finished in a draw.
The team’s fate would now lie in Avonmouth’s hands as they played their final match against Yate.  Yate won, meaning Pucklechurch were safe.