Sodbury grab the points with late winner

April 30 2018

Chipping Sodbury Town 2-1 Wellington

Just two points separated the sides before the kick off of this Toolstation Western Football League match.

A scrappy start to the match gave little indication of what was ahead with both sides struggling to maintain possession. 

Sodbury’s George Box recorded the games first shot on goal after 7 minutes when he volleyed just wide after some enterprising wing play down the visitors left put him in shooting distance on the edge of the penalty area. 

As the sun shone for a fleeting moment the home side began to use their wingers to good effect. A pinpoint pass from half way found the Sodbury wing back in clear space behind the Wellington defence and his short cross found Box who slotted home from close range to give Sodbury a 1-0 lead after 10 minutes. 

Wellington immediately went on the offensive but a tame shot from the edge of the box and a half-hearted appeal for a penalty after a collision left the score unchanged. 

The game continued as a struggle for dominance until Ian Bellinger levelled the scores. The Wellington player received the ball just outside the Sodbury penalty area and with little room for manoeuvre he deftly switched from left to right foot and slotted home from 15 yards out. 

Both teams found it difficult to keep possession from thereon with passes misplaced and few chances created for the final 20 minutes of the first half.

After a largely incident free first period, the second half kicked off with the teams in determined mood and a series of mistimed challenges by both sides raised the temperature for a few minutes as each tried to gain the upper hand. 

The game became an end-to-end encounter. Wellington wasted a good chance on 10 minutes when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area but the cross into a crowded penalty box failed to find its mark and the ball was easily cleared. 

Just a minute later a one-on-one with the home keeper was cleared and the resultant long throw-in by Wellington was claimed comfortably by Burgess. 

George Box nearly added to his earlier goal when he found himself one-on-one with the Wellington keeper but the 50-50 went the way of the visitors. 

A couple of Sodbury attacks flattered to deceive and despite home pressure the Wellington defence held firm. With just 20 minutes left the visitors looked the more likely to take the win. 

Following a Sodbury attack the ball was cleared down the right and the Wellington forward rounded the full back but was brought down for another free kick just outside the area. Again the kick was wasted. 

The game was still very much end to end, but the visitors were the more confident and but for some excellent goalkeeping by Burgess they may well have pushed ahead. 

With three minutes of added on time played a break down the Wellington right started by George Box found the Sodbury winger who sent in a cross which was only parried by the visitors keeper and Box finished off the move with a shot from close range to give the home side a 2-1 victory and all three points.