St Nicks bounce back

November 28 2018

Having struggled in their opening fixtures in their first season in division two, St Nicholas U14s recorded a moral boosting win to take them off the bottom of the table in division two of the Avon Youth League.

Despite having narrowly lost their previous two matches, 3-2 to Bromley Heath and 4-3 to Ashton Boys, the St Nicks side have been growing in confidence.

The home side dominated the opening half an hour of their fixture with Warmley Rangers and should have taken the lead earlier in the game having created several clear chances including a penalty.  Isaac Stevens gave the St Nicks team their first lead of the season when he latched on to a pass from centre back Ben Pearson. He outstripped the Warmley defender and ran from the half way line into the area where he calmly slotted the ball passed the oncoming goalkeeper.

Five minutes later Dan Evans added to the home lead when he kept a level head after a goalmouth scramble to slot home from close range. 

Joe Beare added a third goal 15 minutes into the second half. St Nicks forward and captain Dan Evans turned provider beating three defenders before sending a low cross for unmarked Joe to pass the ball into the net from just outside the six-yard box.

As legs tired for both sides in what was appalling weather conditions Warmley became more of a threat and started to create chances of their own. Ben Manfield in the St Nicks goal had enjoyed a relatively quiet match up until this point but when he was called into action he wasn’t found wanting making several good saves including a penalty save, diving low to his right. 

The home side put the game beyond doubt with 10 minutes left when Theo Fitz Hugh struck a fine shot with the outside of his right foot into the top corner. His chance fell to him following an excellent passing move, which created space for Theo to put his side 4-0 up. 

To their credit Warmley rallied putting the home defence under sustained pressure for the final minutes. Their persistence paid off when, after several corners, they created a move that gave space for their forward to fire the ball into the net from 15 meters out.