Tormarton forced to come from behind in last two games

April 30 2018

Tormarton Under 18s’ final fixtures of the season took them on the road to Longwell Green and firstly to Avonmouth, where the boys battled back from a half time deficit to take all three points on a sticky pitch.

Tormarton took the lead with a penalty from Josh Timbrell within the opening five minutes, after Oskar Earp was upended. Timbrell has now converted all four of his penalty kicks this season and it should have provided the platform for his team to establish a healthy lead. Instead they allowed Avonmouth to follow their game plan of soaking up the pressure with their five-man defence and launch long balls to their lone striker. This brought them two goals in quick succession to go into the interval with a narrow lead. 

The visitors regrouped and began to pass the ball much better, much of it stemming from Tyler Dervishi, which stretched their hosts.  First Miles Theobald rifled in the equaliser after good play from Ethan Lloyd before Ross Womack tucked home the winner which Tormarton fully deserved.

 Next up was Longwell Green, who play a super brand of football, so Tormarton needed to be at their very best. On a windy day and with a bumpy surface, the two teams cancelled each other out during the first half with little goalmouth action. 

However, Longwell Green scored immediately after the second period began and doubled their lead soon after. The hosts were creating numerous chances by this stage and threatened to post a big score but defenders Cedrick Marasigan, Josh Timbrell and Fin Crosbee were working hard to nullify the attacks. 

Somewhat out of the blue, goalkeeper Elliot Millar’s long goal kick caught the breeze and allowed Ross Womack to sprint through and nod the ball past the onrushing keeper. The trick was then repeated with a long clearance finding Womack whose close control and fast pace enabled him to tuck away the equaliser his team’s general play just about deserved.