Tormarton youngsters notch up first win

October 30 2017

Newly formed Tormarton Under 18s kicked off their league campaign with a tricky home fixture against a physically imposing Southmead Community Sports team.

Newly formed Tormarton Under 18s kicked off their league campaign with a tricky home fixture against a physically imposing Southmead Community Sports team. 

The hosts started brightly and controlled the first half hour, scoring twice with strikes from skipper Charlie Moore and Oskar Earp. The goals stemmed from Tortmarton’s use of the wide areas that stretched the visitors defence, however Southmead proved to be very strong through the middle of the pitch and deservedly clawed a goal back just before half time. 

After the break both teams missed opportunities before Southmead took advantage of a corner to produce an equaliser. To their credit Tormarton shook off the disappointment and hunted a third goal which duly arrived when Moore stroked home his second of the game. The hosts held the lead until the last minute when Southmead broke clear to equalise and take home a point that on balance they deserved.

Back to back home fixtures pitched Tormarton’s under 18s against Avonmouth in their next encounter. On a surprisingly warm October afternoon the two teams served up an enthralling encounter. As in their previous fixture Tormarton started brightly and were two goals ahead after just 20 minutes. Ethan Lloyd’s wing play assisted both goals, one from a drilled cross across the six-yard box, slotted home at the far post by Lewis Wynn, and then a chip from a narrow angle headed home by Oskar Earp.

 Lapses in concentration allowed Avonmouth to level before the break but a renewed purpose from the hosts early in the second half took them back into the lead when Harry Trigg smashed home from the edge of the penalty area. Avonmouth’s physical presence up front was causing the home defence problems but despite dedicated work from centre back pairing Josh Timbrell and Cedrick Marasigan, striker Declan Smith scored his second of the game to level proceedings once again. 

 Tormarton were then reduced to ten men following a red card for dissent but they refused to abandon hopes of their first victory. Trigg’s lively movement and pace up front won the home side a penalty that he duly dispatched to put his team back in front. Good play from Owen Ladip and Fin Crosbee set Lewis Wynn free down the left hand side and his delivery was headed home by the tireless Charlie Parsons to seal the win. 

Tormarton U18s 5 v 2 Severnvale United 

The remnants of Storm Brian were still very much in the air when the teams took to the field and credit should be applied to the players of both teams for delivering such an entertaining spectacle.

 Tormarton started strongly and managed to keep their shape on a heavy surface against a well-organised Severnvale. The hosts were finding success from the wide areas and it was good wing play that opened the door for the excellent Charlie Moore to slot home twice in quick succession. Oskar Earp added his team’s third to take Tormarton into the half time break three goals ahead.

 After the interval, Severnvale’s direct style gave the home defence headaches but any lingering nerves were settled when Charlie Parsons powered home Tormarton’s fourth. Severnvale pulled one back from a speculative long range strike before adding a second from a late corner, but these were either side of a cool Harry Trigg finish following a great run from Lewis Wynn.