U-turn sees plans for 247 new homes in Yate approved
A DECISION to throw out plans for 247 homes in Yate has been overruled.
The Voice previously reported that South Gloucestershire Council's strategic sites delivery committee had rejected developer Bellway's planning application, amid concerns that a footpath would be diverted and that three proposed sports pitches would be an unusable “quagmire”.
Council officers had recommended the scheme be approved. But opponents said the development at Ladden Garden Village, as proposed by Bellway, would “destroy” the Jubilee Way, a scenic route laid in 1985 to mark the 50th anniversary of the Ramblers Association, if it was diverted along a road.
They accused the council of bending to the will of the developer in changing the master plan for the 2,450-home North Yate New Neighbourhood to accommodate the scheme.
The committee voted to refuse the application at the March meeting but, as they went against aplanning officer's advice, the decision was referred up to higher council body, the spatial planning committee.
When it met on June 29 the spatial planning committee reversed the earlier decision and approved the Bellway application, subject to a long list of conditions including three relating to the sports pitches.
The council said the decision to approve the detailed plans had been taken after a presentation by a planning officer on the issues raised at the earlier committee meeting.
Outline permission for the overall North Yate New Neighbourhood plan was granted five years ago.
Afterwards Bellway said it had worked closely with the council on its plans, which include 86 affordable homes.
Spokesperson Rachel Way said: “This new development will bring much-needed new homes to Yate and we are looking forward to starting construction on the site."