Unbeaten run helps Yate’s relegation battle

March 27 2017

Yate Town enjoyed an excellent run of results in March and remained unbeaten during the early part of the month with two victories and a draw from their first three games.

Yate Town enjoyed an excellent run of results in March and remained unbeaten during the early part of the month with two victories and a draw from their first three games.

The month opened with a visit to Lodge Road by Bishops Cleeve and Yate completed their first double of the season with a 2-1 win. Torrential rain just before kick off made the pitch very soft and caused standing water in some places. 

The home side started brightly and took the lead after five minutes when Jack Ball held off a heavy challenge and crossed to James Harding who showed good control before slotting past the keeper. Despite dominated the opening 25 minutes Yate were unable to add to their lead. Simon Gilbert did crash a shot against the bar just before the break but the score remained the same at half time.

Just two minutes after the interval the visitors equalised when Charlie Hitchings was penalised for handball and Jacob Davidge scored from the spot. The difficult underfoot conditions didn’t affect the quality of the play. Yate scored the decisive goal with a quarter of an hour remaining. A good pass down the left from Mike Baker was collected by Connor Jones who pulled the ball back for Luke Bryan to score with an excellent finish.

A combination of injuries, illness and suspension enforced a number of changes for Yate’s next match away to Paulton Rovers. The fixture could hardly be described as a classic with chances at a premium throughout. Yate did eventually take the lead after 85 minutes when Aysa Corrick beat the home keeper to a through ball and tapped into an empty net. Paulton equalised in controversial circumstances in the first minute of stoppage time when Jordan Ricketts corner lead to a goalmouth scramble and Sol Wheatley’s effort was adjudged to have crossed the line before being cleared.

Winchester City were the next visitors to The Jelf Stadium and Yate extended their unbeaten run with a hard earned 1-0 victory. A strong swirling wind made it difficult for both teams to cope with the conditions but Yate had slightly the better of a scrappy first half. Town took the lead midway through the second period when Mayson Evans and Jack Ball combined well to free Luke Bryan to make a well timed run to score at the far post. 

 In an effort to draw level the well placed visitors then laid virtual siege to the home goal. Yate defended heroically with goalkeeper Harvey Rivers making several outstanding saves to keep his goal intact. Yate were reduced to ten men for the final few minutes having made all of their substitutions before Bryan had to leave the field with an injury. 

 They managed to hold out however to gain another welcome three points. Harvey Rivers celebrated his selection for England’s University national team in the quadrangular home international series in April with a superb display which earned him the man of the match award.


Yate Town Fc April Fixtures

Sat 1 April, Swindon Supermarine, Home 3.00 Pm

Sat 8 April North Leigh, Home 3.00 Pm

Tues 11,  April North Leigh, Away 7.45 Pm

Sat 15 April, Wimborne Town ,Away 3.00 Pm

Easter Mon 17 April, Larkhall Ath, Home 3.00 Pm

Sat 22 April, Bridgwater Town, Away 3.00 Pm


Other Matches @ The Jelf Stadium, Lodge Road, During April

Wed 5 April, Yate Town Youth V Wells City, 7.30 Pm

Sat 15 April, Bristol Rovers Under 18 V Newport , 10.30am

Wed 19 April, Bristol Suburban League Cup Final, 7.30 Pm

Thurs 20 April, Yate Town Youth V Ashton & Backwell,7.30 Pm

Wed 26 April, Yate Town Youth V Clevedon Town, 7.30 Pm

Sat 29 April, Bristol Rovers Under 18 V Swindon Town, 10.30 Am