Yate fall at the first hurdle in FA Trophy as Banbury run out winners

November 03 2015

A fine first half performance by Yate Town was not enough to keep them in the FA Trophy as they fell at the first hurdle to Banbury United at Lodge Road.

fa city

 A fine first half performance by Yate Town was not enough to keep them in the FA Trophy as they fell at the first hurdle to Banbury United at Lodge Road.
After a dominant first 45 minutes in which the home side twice struck the woodwork and had three fine shots saved by Jack Harding in the visitors goal, Yate were unable to capitalise on their first half performance. Goals from Ricky Johnson, Callum White and substitute Nick Kalakouris gave Banbury an unassailable three-goal cushion. Harry Horlon slotted home a late consolation goal for Yate.
Bottom of the table Bashley were Lodge Road’s next visitors. The away side effectively parked the bus for half an hour with no fewer than nine defenders behind the ball until Jake Cox conjured up a little bit of magic to give Yate the lead. Cox left three Bashley defenders in his wake as he broke down the left wing before curling a delightful shot into the far corner to score.
Bashley put up a stubborn defence and offered very little in the way of an attacking threat. Yate’s dominance was finally rewarded with just a quarter of an hour left when Callum Laird, assisted by Alec Fiddes, scored his first goal for the club to give Yate a deserved 2-0 win.
Another cup match, this time in the RedInsure League Cup, pitched Yate against Slimbridge in the first round. A topsy-turvy cup- tie was eventually settled after a penalty shoot out.  Slimbridge went behind to a Darren Edwards strike early in the match but the home side soon recovered to take a 2-1 advantage, before Kane Ingram equalised for the visitors just before the break.
The home side regained the lead shortly after the restart and looked on course to secure a place in the next round until the closing seconds.
A superb shot into the top corner secured a 3-3 draw, and a brace for Ingram, and took the tie into a penalty shoot out.  
Heroics from Yate keeper Martin Horsell with two fine spot kick saves were rewarded with a trip to Merthyr in the next round.
An away trip to Marlow ended disappointingly for Yate when they conceded two goals in the opening ten minutes from which the away side never recovered. A scrappy game fought mostly in midfield saw Yate slump to a 2-0 defeat.
Yate’s blues were lifted when third placed Swindon Supermarine visited Lodge Road Yate recorded an impressive victory over their high-flying opponents.
Producing what was arguably their best performance of the season to date Yate ran out 5-2 victors.
Good work by Darren Edwards set up star man Alec Fiddes for the first of his four goals of the afternoon after just 12 minutes and he netted again just five minutes later after Jake Cox had put him through. Swindon’s Luke Hopper headed home early in the second half to reduce the arrears before Fiddes completed his hat trick with yet another fine finish. The visitors refused to roll over and Hopper once more pulled a goal back however Fiddes and Edwards finished the job.

Next up at Lodge Road on Tuesday November 10 is Merthyr Town, 7.45pm ko in the R.I League Cup