Yate mum thanks team who delivered baby on M5

November 28 2018
Yate mum thanks team who delivered baby on M5

A mum from Yate has been reunited with the ambulance team who helped deliver her baby in the car beside the M5 motorway.

Leanne Parrett, who’s 31, was going to the Gloucester Royal hospital with husband Sam when she felt the baby coming. Sam quickly pulled over and called 999. Charles Passmore, took Sam’s 999 call. He said: “The call came to me and it was clear from the start this was going to be an emergency birth as they were still on the motorway.”

“Pregnancy incidents are one of the most unpredictable calls we face as EMDs [an Emergency Medical Dispatcher], as there are multiple scenarios that could change at any time, so I knew I had to be fully focused.”

“The baby had already started to show, so time was of the essence. I began giving the instructions to the father to get the mother into the correct position, and to get some towels and other equipment ready for the baby’s delivery.”

Leanne said: “I was squatting in the back seat and I just needed to push, and within two pushes he was out, and Sam grabbed him, and then he [the baby] started to cry.”

Baby Sebastian weighed a healthy 8lb 12oz. 

Leanne said: “The call handler was amazing and stayed on the phone with Sam the whole time until the ambulance arrived. They made sure Sam knew what to do immediately following the arrival of Sebastian!”

Charles added: “This was a brilliant call to be a part of and a wonderful moment that I will never forget.”

A paramedic, Scott King, then arrived on his motorbike, followed shortly afterwards by an ambulance with Paramedic Amy Johnson and Emergency Care Assistant Lloyd Easton. The baby’s cord was cut, and the family was taken to hospital. 

Lloyd said: “This was one of the best jobs I have ever been to. Although it was an incredibly stressful situation for Leanne and Sam to find themselves in, it had the best outcome anyone could have hoped for – a beautiful healthy baby being brought into the world.”

All the staff involved have met the family again for a reunion.