Yate prepare for new season with busy friendly schedule

September 12 2018
Yate prepare for new season with busy friendly schedule

Yate Town travelled to Portland United for their second pre-season friendly, a match that gave opportunities to several new faces.

The match was played in extremely hot conditions, and again resulted in a 2-1 defeat. The home team took the lead, but Nick Peare equalised before the break and both teams created opportunities before Portland scored what proved to be the winner.

The annual friendly against Chipping Sodbury Town attracted a decent crowd to The Ridings, and this time Yate finished as 3-1 winners. Ross Langworthy gave Yate the lead with a decisive header from a cross, but George Box was on hand to notch the equaliser for Sodbury. Yate twice hit the woodwork, and the competitive friendly was decided in the final few minutes with two quality free kicks by Nick Peare that punished Sodbury’s ill judged tackles.

Yate’s second home friendly was against Chippenham Town, and once again the crowd was treated to some entertaining football. Although Yate seldom looked like breaching the visitor’s defence, they were unlucky to be trailing at the break as keeper Lewis Thomas appeared to have saved Karnell Chambers’ 40th minute low header, only for the assistant to indicate the effort had crossed the line, to the surprise of both teams. 

Mike Jones increased Chippenham’s lead after an hour’s play, and then five minutes from time Sam Boulton was caught in possession and Nick McCootie slipped the ball past Thomas to make it 3-0, a scoreline which flattered the visitors.

Town then travelled across the Bridge to play Caldicot Town, and on yet another sunny afternoon secured a comfortable 3-0 win over the Welsh League team, thanks to goals from Olly Mehew (pen), a header from Nick Peare and a controlled left foot finish from David Sims-Burgess.

Due to the delayed start to the league season, a second match against Bristol Rovers U-23’s was arranged at short notice. Once again this proved to be a very competitive and entertaining match, although there were no goals until the final five minutes. Rovers took the lead when Connor Jones converted a cross from the right with a first time effort, but Yate deservedly equalised when David Sims-Burgess made ground and his low cross was knocked in at the far post by trialist James Ollis to make the final score 1-1

Yate have recruited several new faces during the close season, although the majority of last season’s squad have remained. Josh Ford, Joe Guest and Josh Cann have all re- joined the club from Paulton Rovers, Elliott Keightley from North Leigh and striker Ollie Mehew from Forest Green. 

Other new faces are midfielder Jack Twyman from Slimbridge and Sam Kamara. Goalkeeper Lewis Thomas and striker James Spruce, both Welsh under 19 internationals, have also been signed on loan from Forest Green and Bristol Rovers respectively. 

Inevitably several players have left the club with both Harvey Rivers and Steve Davies joining Evesham Utd, Matty Tanner has gone to Bristol Manor Farm whilst Chris Gregan and Theo Llewellyn are studying in the USA and at Birmingham University respectively.


Yate Town September Fixtures

Sat 1st September, Cinderford Town, Home, 3.00 Pm

Sat 8th September, TBC

Sat 15th Sept, Moneyfields, Home, 3.00 Pm

Sat 22nd Sept, Evesham UTD, Away 3.00 Pm

Sat 29th Sept, Fleet Town, Home, 3.00 Pm