Yate Town make flying start to the season

October 02 2018

Yate Town’s strong start to the season has landed them a ‘Club of the Month’ award after they won all four matches in August.

It took until the start of September, when Yate entertained Cinderford Town for the club to loose their 100% record with a 1-1 draw in a typically close encounter against The Foresters. 

After a goal-less first half, Cinderford took the lead immediately after half time when they were awarded a penalty which Dan McDonald converted. Yate fought back and deservedly equalised when Dave Sims-Burgess scored a fine individual goal when he rounded three defenders before slipping the ball under the advancing keeper.

Yate visited Premier Division Salisbury for a First Round Qualifying FA Cup Tie and  gave another excellent team performance, securing a replay against their illustrious opponents. Salisbury took the lead just before the interval but Town responded immediately when Mayson Evans delivered a deep cross to the far post which Sims-Burgess volleyed into the net. Both sides had opportunities to win the match in the second half but had to settle for a draw and a replay at Lodge Road.

The replay saw Yate dominate the first half but miss several chances and have only one goal to show for their efforts. The goal came when Salisbury failed to deal with a corner and Josh Ford scored his first goal of the season. 

Salisbury were awarded a controversial penalty soon after half time which was netted by Sheppard before Wannell gave the visitors the lead. Yate sought an equaliser but Salisbury made the game safe in the 90th minute. The game ended on a sour note when two players from each team were sent off after a fracas following a bad foul on Sam Boulton.

Yate returned to league action against Moneyfields and retained their unbeaten league record against the combative Portsmouth team.  After a goal-less first half, Yate conceded a penalty early in the second for the third successive home game. 

Man of the Match Lewis Thomas saved the initial effort from Conor Bailey, but the latter reacted quickly to net at the third attempt. Yate fought back and equalised when a patient build up ended when Adam Price met a long cross from Ford at the far post. Shortly afterwards Dave Sims-Burgess sent a low shot from the edge of the box into the corner of the net to give Yate the lead. 

Moneyfields responded and secured a deserved point in injury time when a cross from the right was knocked in at the far post to make the final score 2-2.


Yate Town October Fixtures

Sat 6Th Oct, Bristol Manor Farm, Away, 3.00 Pm

Sat 13Th Oct, Blackfield & Langley Or Highworth T, Home, 3.00 Pm, (Fa Trophy Preliminary Round)

Sat 20Th Oct, Highworth Town, Home, 3.00 Pm

Sat 27Th Oct, Tbc